Today’s UFC Fight Night event was one to forget for local MMA fans.
The bad news started before the bout had begun as Jake Matthews’ bout against Jeremiah Wells was scrapped after one of Wells’ corner people tested positive for COVID-19.
A shattered Matthews released a statement on Instagram where he spoke about his disappointment and later put a post up asking for a bout against Santiago Ponzinibbio next weekend, should Geoff Neal be unavailable.
Sporting a distinguished mullet, Crute got caught within the first 25-seconds by his opponent Jamahal Hill. Hill connected with a looping left that hit Crute behind the head as the Australian came forward. Crute dropped to his knees but composed himself to grab on to Hill. They separated but a stiff short right hook dropped the 25-year-old Australian again. The follow-up punch connected flush to end the contest only 48-seconds into the bout.
It’s a second straight loss for Crute who never got a chance to settle into the fight as he drops his record to 12-3 (UFC 4-3). An impressive Hill, moves to 9-1 (UFC 3-1).
In the semi-main event, New Zealand’s Brad Riddell came up short against former Tiger Muay Thai training partner Rafael Fiziev. The first round was closely contested and could have been argued either way but from round two onwards, Fiziev started to land the better shots. Fiziev cut Riddell open with a slicing elbow in the second round and then about halfway through the third round, a spinning wheel kick connected flush. Riddell kept standing but was visibly wobbled and that was enough for referee Herb Dean to step in to end the bout.
Riddell drops to 10-2 (UFC 4-1) while Fiziev moves to 11-1 (UFC 5-1).
In the main event, former Jose Aldo proved he still has it with a decision victory over Rob Font. The former featherweight king dominated the bout and showed glimpses of the old with a 50-45, 50-45, 49-46 decision win.
It is now three in a row for Aldo who is interested in a title shot but without clarity around the bantamweight championship, he has set his sights at TJ Dillashaw.
- Jose Aldo def. Rob Font via Decision (Unanimous)
- Rafael Fiziev def. Brad Riddell via KO, Rd 3, 2:20
- Jamahal Hill def. Jimmy Crute via KO, Rd 1, 0:48
- Clay Guida def. Leonardo Santos via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 2, 1:21
- Chris Curtis def. Brendan Allen via TKO, Rd 2, 1:58
- Alex Morono def. Mickey Gall via Decision (Unanimous)
- Dusko Todorovic def. Maki Pitolo via TKO, Rd 1, 4:34
- Manel Kape def. Zhalgas Zhumaglov via TKO, Rd 1, 4:02
- Bryan Barberena def. Darian Weeks via Decision (Unanimous)
- Cheyanne Vlismas def. Mallory Martin via Decision (Unanimous)
- William Knight def. Alonzo Menifield via Decision (Unanimous)
- Claudio Puelles def. Chris Gruetzemacher via Submission (Kneebar), Rd 3, 3:25
- Vince Morales def. Louis Smolka via KO, Rd 1, 2:02