Urban Fight Night 10 featured a massive 22 fights at the Whitlam Leisure Centre in Liverpool, Sydney on Saturday Night.
Local fighter Trent Girdham picked up the vacant bantamweight title in the main event submitting Perth’s Ryan Robertson in the first round. The title win adds to the Aftershock MMA bantamweight title Girdham won in Brisbane last September.
Girdham started the contest slow getting taken down early and giving his back to Robertson. Girdham managed his way back to his feet while Robertson remained clasped to his back with a tight body lock. In an impressive display of technique and strength Robertson managed to lift Girdham through the air and over his own head, landing a huge back to belly suplex. Girdham quickly jumped up to his feet but Robertson remained tight on his back, taking him for a ride before landing a second back to belly suplex.
Robertson fought hard to keep Girdham down this time and started to look for the rear-naked choke. Girdham managed to turn to face Robertson and started to attack, he quickly passed Robertson’s guard and started landing vicious elbows from side control. Robertson tried to get back to his feet and a scramble ensued. Girdham then latched onto his neck and secured a guillotine choke, forcing Robertson to tap at 3.41 of the first round.
I’m very happy with my performance but I’m sorry he took my back. I want to be in the UFC one day, I don’t care if I win or lose, I just want to make everyone proud — Girdham, post fight.
At only 19 years of age, three amateur submission wins behind him and an unbeaten 5-0 professional record, ‘Ninoloco’ is certainly heading in the right direction to achieve his dream.
In the co-main event, Joel Kendrick and Danny Hopper went blow for blow in a back and forth affair. As the fight went into the second-round, Kendrick managed to transition between triangle to armbar off his back to force the tap, earning himself his third professional victory.
In other fights, Chanthou Sin showcased amazing athleticism knocking out his opponent at just 34 seconds of the first round and Adam Assuncao displayed his technical jiu-jitsu skills, taking his opponent down and taking his back to get the rear-naked choke at 0.56 of round 1.
The next event from Urban Fight Night will take place June 3.
- Knockout of the Night – Chanthou Sin
- Submission of the Night – Joel Kendrick
- Fight of the Night – Isaac Hogan vs Shea Janssen
- Fighter of the night – Adam Assuncao
- Team of the night – SPMA Concord Gym – Sydney MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
- Entrance of the night – Tennesse Etuati
- Trent Girdham def. Ryan Robertson via Submission (Guillotine Choke), Rd 1 – UFN bantamweight title
- Joel Kendrick def. Danny Hopper via Submission (Arm-Bar), Rd 2
- Tahiwi Sellars-McGee def. Mark Familari via Decision (Unanimous)
- Philip Kim def. Andrew Yousef via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
- Alex Gorgees def. Stevie Kopeke via TKO, Rd 2, 1:42
- Ethan Thomas def. Michael Goufas-Piper via Decision (Unanimous)
- Joshua Murphy def. Junior Mo via TKO, Rd 1, 0:26
- Michael Pritchard def. Joey Belfiore via KO, Rd 3
- Harry Thomson def. Sam Atkinson via Decision (Split)
- Grant Brechney def. Luke Jacob via TKO, Rd 2, 1:12
- Liam Cooney def. Alastair Henry via TKO, Rd 2
- Brandon Zielinski def. Billie Gordon via Decision (Unanimous)
- Kaleb Rideout def. Bruno Playfair via Decision (Unanimous)
- Mitchell Fear def. David Petralito via Decision (Split)
- Adam Assuncao def. Scott Denholm via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 0:56
- Tennesse Etuati def. Jason Martin via Decision (Unanimous)
- Scott Lowe def. Nathan Reid via Decision (Unanimous)
- Heath Knight def. Ryan Powers via Decision (Unanimous)
- Mathew Sterland def. Melki Gorgees via Decision (Unanimous)
- Morgan Graham def. Hayley Morrison via TKO, Rd 1, 2:59
- Isaac Hogan def. Shea Janssen via TKO, Rd 2, 2:42
- Chanthou Sin def. Jack Elkins via KO, Rd 1, 0:34