A monster uppercut to the chin of Kane Toby won Shane Mitchell the Storm Damage 6 middleweight tournament, and the promotion’s middleweight title in the main event on Saturday night.
The Adelaide based fighter, who also knocked out Jack Brunswick in his opening tournament bout earlier in the night, floored Toby just 1:45 into the fight. Toby was laid out for some time but eventually made it to his feet to hear the official result read out. The devastating loss followed his win over Sean Godkin in the show opener.
In the co-main event, Port Macquarie native Simon Arentz claimed the promotion’s featherweight strap with a come from behind third round TKO win over Storm Damage veteran Peter Cross.
Arentz had his hands full in the opening round after getting taken down and mounted. He did well to buck his opponent off but after winding up in Cross’s full guard, Arentz was forced to defend submission attempts including a tight looking triangle choke until the round closed out. The second frame was more even in the striking department, both fighters landed head kicks, Cross also connected with a clean right hand. But like the first round, Cross was able to trip Arentz to the canvas. Arentz was also deducted a point in the round. The judges were not needed in this one however, as just past one minute into the third, Arentz caught Cross with a solid punch, which rocked him. The new featherweight champion pounced and unleashed a long lasting barrage of punches until the referee jumped in and waved it off.
Local fighter, and former Storm Damage cage girl, Maddison Skinner, was crowned the promotion’s women’s strawweight champion after a dominant performance against Maxine O’Neil. Skinner wasted no time taking her opponent to the canvas in the opening round, before punishing her with hammer fists from the top. O’Neil desperately tried to cover up, and was able to hold out for the remainder of the round. Skinner came out aggressive again to begin the second frame, racing O’Neil with punches and knees. After a brief period on the canvas, the two women continued to engaged on the feet, where Skinner started to land with more force. After landing a number of punches to the face of O’Neil, O’Neil’s corner had seen enough and threw in the towel at the 1:37 mark.
Storm Damage 6 took place at the Tuggeranong Basketball Stadium in the ACT.
- Shane Mitchell def Kane Toby via KO (Punch), Rd 1, 1:45 – Middleweight Tournament Title Fight
- Simon Arentz def Peter Cross via TKO (Punches), Rd 3, 1:54 – Storm Damage featherweight title – Storm Damage featherweight title
- Maddison Skinner def Maxine O’Neil via Corner Stoppage, Rd 2, 1:37 – Women’s Storm Damage strawweight title
- Dave Fowler def Josh Lagudah via Decision (Unanmous)
- David Morley def Michael Spencer via TKO (Punches from Mount), Rd 1, 3:22
- Josh Tummers def Jordan Dimeski via TKO, Rd 1, 0:24
- Paul Franchi def Joe Pollock via TKO, Rd 2, 1:42
- Steve McKinnon def Luke Apps via TKO, Rd 1, 1:51
- Damien Norman def James Liakimatagi via TKO, Rd 2, 1:23
- Jamie Carl def Tiger Butt via TKO, Rd 2, 2:58
- Adam Belcher def Ryan Green via TKO, Rd 1, 1:33
- Shane Mitchell def Jack Brunswick via KO (Punch), Rd 2, 0:13
- Jake Parkes def Allan Highfield via Submission (Verbal), Rd 2, 202
- Kane Toby def Sean Godkin (Full result to come)