Australia’s Jamie Mullarkey returned to the octagon to open the main card for UFC 260 against Khama Worthy. Looking to get the first win of his UFC career, Mullarkey came into the fight as a slight betting underdog.
The 26-year-old from Central Coast came out on the front foot throwing strikes and getting right into Worthy’s face. After a few exchanges, Mullarkey stepped in with a right feint and landed a clean left hook on Worthy’s chin which stiffened Worthy. Mullarkey followed up to seal the win only 46-seconds into the contest.
After a fight-of-the-night loss to Brad Riddell in his UFC debut and a controversial decision loss to Fares Ziam in his last outing, it was a much-needed victor for Mullarkey who takes his pro record to 13-4.
“It feels unbelievable. We worked so hard for this fight. I’m glad I was finally able to showcase my skills,” Mullarkey commented in his post-fight speech backstage.
Mullarkey went on to send his well-wishes to training partner Alex Volkanovski who was forced off the card due to a positive Covid-19 test.
“A quick shout-out to Alex Volkanovski. We trained so hard for this came together, this fight. He got his moment taken away but I know that he’s going to make a real statement when he comes back.”
Earlier on the preliminary card, Kiwi featherweight Shane Young lost a unanimous decision to Omar Morales.
The event was held at the UFC Apex Centre in Las Vegas.
- Francis Ngannou def. Stipe Miocic via KO (Punch), Rd 2, 0:52
- Vicente Luque def. Tyron Woodley via Submission (Brabo Choke), Rd 1, 3:56
- Sean O’Malley def. Thomas Almeida via KO (Punch), Rd 3, 3:52
- Miranda Maverick def. Gillian Robertson via Decision (Unanimous)
- Jamie Mullarkey def. Khama Worthy via KO (Punches), Rd 1, 0:46
- Alonzo Menifield def. Fabio Cherant via Submission (Shoulder Choke), Rd 1, 1:11
- Abubakar Nurmagomedov def. Jared Gooden via Decision (Unanimous)
- Michal Oleksiejczuk def. Modestas Bukauskas via Decision (Split)
- Omar Morales def. Shane Young via Decision (Unanimous)
- Marc-Andre Barriault def. Abu Azaitar via TKO (Punches), Rd 3, 4:56