NSW light heavyweight Nathan Reddy made a statement in the Hex Fight Series 16 main event on Saturday night at the Melbourne Pavilion, knocking out India’s Parminder Singh with a devastating head kick.
Singh started off strong, aggressively attacking with powerful overhand lefts, backing up his opponent with a few connecting cleanly on Reddy. Reddy, however, remained composed under the pressure. As Singh was moving back during an exchange, the Aussie connected with a perfectly timed head kick which knocked out his counterpart immediately on impact, sending the visiting fighter crashing to the canvas.
The match was put to a devastating halt at 1:28 of the very first round. With the quick-fire victory, Reddy takes his professional record to 7-1, and continues to add to an undefeated streak of five, while his opponent Singh (1-1), an experienced boxer, concedes his first defeat in MMA with the result.
Nathan Reddy defeats Parminder Singh via 1st round KO in the main event at Hex Fight Series 16.
Check out the highlight below.
Posted by Hex Fight Series on Sunday, September 9, 2018
Guam’s Ricky Camp made quick work of his Kiwi opponent Scott MacGregor in the co-main event.
In true MacGregor fashion, the tough kiwi was game and aimed to bring the fight to Camp. Camp, however, was strong with his striking and power. During a scramble from MacGregor, Camp was able to lock in a tight rear-naked choke, which put a stop to the bout in the opening frame.
There were also two heavyweight match-ups put on display. Victorian Ricky Biechun and South Australian Greg Hearne went toe-to-toe in what was a back and forth stand up war. Both heavyweights were versatile in their striking, mixing in both punches and kicks well during the exchanges. Biechun was able secure full mount on occasions and rain down heavy ground and pound. Having shown an edge in the grappling exchanges, Biechun did enough to earn a unanimous decision victory.
The other heavyweight battle was staged between interstate up-and-comers David Taumoepeau from Canberra and Geelong based Irishman Cam Dempsey. Dempsey used his clear advantage in grappling experience, controlling his opponent on the mat for most of the contest. Ground control mixed with ground and pound secured the unanimous decision win for Dempsey.
Australian Top Team fighter Alex Gorgees remains undefeated after impressing with a first round knockout over tough local MMA veteran Jai Bradney.
Also on the night, local flyweight Jordan O’Connor dominated in his appearance against Wayne Cummins, getting the KO early on in round one.
Check out the full results below.
- Nathan Reddy def. Parminder Singh via KO (Head Kick), Rd 1, 1:28
- Ricky Camp def. Scott MacGregor via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1
- Ricky Biechun def. Greg Hearne via Decision
- Cam Dempsey def. David Taumoepeau via Decision (Unanimous)
- Joel Kendrick def. Sam Hayward via Decision (Split)
- Alex Gorgees def. Jai Bradney via KO (Punch), Rd 1
- Richard Lockett def. Jack Lambe via Submission (Triangle Choke), Rd 2
- Blake Donnelly def. Sean Le Gourrierec via TKO, Rd 3
- Joshua Riley def. Robby Lara via TKO, Rd 1, 5:00
- Saeid Karsaz def. Ciaran Daly via KO (Punch), Rd 1,
- Jordan O’Connor def. Wayne Cummins via KO (Punch), Rd 1
- Joey Karami def. Stephen Thouliss via TKO (Strikes), Rd 3