Cuban-Australian fighter Hector Lombard put on a calm and composed performance to defeat Josh Burkman by unanimous decision on the UFC 182 main card.
The bout opened up the main card action for the event which was held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday night and shown live in Australia on Mainevent pay-per-view on Sunday.
Fighting at welterweight for the third time in the UFC, Lombard from the opening bell stalked his opponent looking to get in the pocket and exchange punches. After over six years away from the promotion, Burkman stayed to his game-plan early, moving on the outside where he countered with punches and leg kicks.
Lombard’s powerful punches started to take their toll on Burkman who after failing with two takedown attempts was unable to figure out an alternative game-plan to trouble Lombard.
All three judges awarded the contest to Lombard, 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28. The win takes moves Lombard to 3-0 as a welterweight and puts him contention for a top 5 welterweight in his next bout.
In the main event, Jon Jones successfully defended his UFC light-heavyweight title against the previously undefeated Daniel Cormier. All three judges awarded Jones the bout 49-46.
- Jon Jones def Daniel Cormier via Decision (Unanimous)
- Donald Cerrone def Myles Jury via Decision (Unanimous)
- Brad Tavares def Nate Marquardt via Decision (Unanimous)
- Kyoji Horiguchi def Louis Gaudinot via Decision (Unanimous)
- Hector Lombard def Josh Burkman via Decision (Unanimous)
Fox Sports 2:
- Paul Felder def Danny Castillo via KO (Spinning Back Elbow), Rd 2, 2:09
- Cody Garbrandt def Marcus Brimage via TKO (Punches), Rd 3, 4:50
- Shawn Jordan def Jared Cannonier via KO (Punches), Rd 1, 2:57
- Evan Dunham def Rodrigo Damn via Decision (Unanimous)
UFC Fight Pass:
- Omari Akhmedov def Mats Nilsson via Decision (Unanimous)
- Marion Reneau def Alexis Dufresne via Decision (Unanimous)