Victoria’s Jamie Abdallah’s hopes of progressing to the play-offs of the PFL light-heavyweight tournament ended on Friday after swelling forced a doctor’s stoppage.
Based on the PFL point system of fighters earning points depending on if and when a fighter wins their bout, only the top 8 in each division qualified for the playoffs. Both Jamie Abdallah and his opponent Smealinho Rama lost their opening regular season bouts and as such were needing a stoppage within two rounds to progress.
Both gave it their all as the two engaged early and swung for the fences. Both had open cuts on their faces but it was the left eye of Abdallah that swelled up as Rama gained momentum in the second round where he dominated the grappling exchange and nearly secured a rear-naked choke.
Both fighters hopes of progressing to the play-offs was dented as the second round came to an end but in an extraordinary turn of events, the ringside physician viewed the damage on Abdallah’s eye and halted the contest. Rama would secure the win and clinch the the necessary points to progress to the play-offs.
— #PFLmma (@ProFightLeague) August 31, 2018
“I wanted the fight to go on. He was a good opponent,“ Rama said post-fight.
“But listen, that’s done. This is it. Let’s do it, man. It’s time to work.”
Rama knocked out former Bellator champion Brandon Halsey from the play-offs, despite losing to him in similar fashion earlier in the regular season. Due to commission irregularities, Halsey’s stoppage at the end of the second round was declared a finish at 0:01 of the third round by the Illinois Commission, so Halsey got lesser bonus points and would prove very vital at the end of the season.
PFL 7, the regular season finale took place at the Ocean Resort Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Smealinho Rama def. Jamie Abdallah (Australia) via TKO (Doctor Stoppage), Rd 2, 5:00
- Bozigit Ataev def. Sean O’Connell via TKO (Spinning Back Kick & Punches), Rd 1, 3:30
- Alexandre Bezerra def. Magomed Idrisov via KO (Flying Knee), Rd 1, 3:24
- Handesson Ferreira def. Paul Bradley via TKO (Punches), Rd 1, 0:20
- Caio Alencar def. Mike Kyle via Decision (Unanimous)
- Sadibou Sy def. Caio Magalhaes via KO (Head Kick & Punches), Rd 1, 2:06
- Emiliano Sordi def. Jason Butcher via KO (Punch), Rd 1, 0:16
- Umar Nurmagomedov def. Saidyokub Kakhramonov via Decision (Unanimous)
- Ramazan Kuramagomedov def. Robert Hale via Decision (Unanimous)
- Muhammed DeReese def. Leroy Johnson via KO (Knee), Rd 1, 2:25