Both Isaac Tisdell and Garrett Gross lost their Eternal titles, succumbing to interstate challengers on Saturday night at Eternal 20.
The event took place at the Southport Sharks AFL club on Queensland’s Gold Coast.
In the main event, Callan Potter silenced the pro-Tisdell card submitting the title holder to take home the lightweight title. Training out of Transform MMA, Tisdell came out firing, throwing spinning back-kicks and back-fists however Potter rarely took a step back. They momentarily separated and Potter landed a hard right hand that rocked Tisdell. Potter immediately pounced with further strikes before locking up the guillotine to get the tap. The win came only 1:04 into the first round.
With the win being Potter’s fifth in a row and with the UFC coming to his hometown next month, Potter got on the microphone to call out the UFC match-makers for a spot on the UFC Melbourne card.
Muay Thai fighter turned mixed martial artist, Myles Simpson won a tough fought decision over local fighter Garrett Gross.
Simpson showed how well he’s picked up the ground game in the first round, securing takedown and remaining on top in half guard for majority of the round against Gross, who struggled to get back to his feet. Simpson landed a short uppercut early in round two as Gross looked to close the distance. It would be Simpson though who would secure the takedown, however Gross this time was able to return back to his feet where he attacked a single leg. Unable to finish the two ended up striking in the middle of the cage with Gross now starting to push the pace, landing a nice body-head combination and securing a takedown of his own.
With arguably all on the line in the third round, Gross came forward early and changed levels to secure the takedown. Simpson rallied, got back to his feet and got a takedown of his own. Gross stayed active off his back with a high guard however Simpson stayed alert and momentarily passed to side-control. With more space to move, Gross escaped back to his feet before the fight ended.
All three judges awarded the decision to Myles Simpson 29-28 as he adds the Eternal title to his MMA Downunder title.
It was a successful night for the Della brothers from Western Australia who both scored stoppages in their respective bouts. Jack Della landed a spectacular back elbow to stop Brandt Cogill while Josh Della secured a TKO over Matt Williams.
- Callan Potter def. Isaac Tisdell via Submission (Guillotine Choke), Rd 1, 1:04 – Eternal lightweight title
- Myles Simpson def. Garrett Gross via Decision (Unanimous) – Eternal featherweight title
- Jack Della def. Brandt Cogill via KO (Elbow), Rd 1
- Aaron Fisher def. Karl Patterson via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 3:20
- Josh Della def. Matt Williams via TKO (Punches), Rd 2, 2:06
- Aaron Alexiou def. Aaron Tau via TKO (Strikes), Rd 2, 2:12
- Eythan Sykes def. Alemu Ramsey via Disqualification (Illegal Strike), Rd 3, 0:15
- Adam Hennessy def. Vishal Nadoo via Decision (Split)
- Nicole Szepesvary def. Belinda Cameron via Decision (Unanimous)
- Callum Dudley def. Michael Elhage via Decision (Unanimous)
- John Borg def Ken McAndrew via Decision (Split)