Alex Gorgees and Goran Olujic put on a show at the Whitlam Leisure Centre on Saturday night. The lightweights met in the Urban Fight Night 11 main event, entertaining fight fans in attendance with a back-and-forth battle.
Gorgees was on the front foot from the opening bell attacking Olujic with kicks. Olujic retaliated with his own array of kicks, momentarily putting a halt to Gorgees’ forward pressure. Gorgees took advantage of an Olujic high kick midway through the opening round, catching it before taking the South Australian’s back and dragging him to the canvas. Olujic did well to regain his feet and was soon able to break free and resume his offence. Gorgees landed with punch kick combination forcing Olujic backwards. The resilient visitor looked unfazed however, and the two lightweights continued to engage. Gorgees continued to walk his opponent down, selecting his strikes patiently. A short shot up against the cage dropped Olujic and Gorgees unleashed a number of left hands from above. The round closed out with Gorgees once again taking the back of Olujic.
The end came soon after the start of the second round with Gorgees dropping Olujic with a punch combination before taking his back and submitting the Cardio-Flex MMA product with a rear-naked choke on the canvas.
Training out of the ATT gym in Sydney, Gorgees, a former amateur UFN champion, remains undefeated as a pro with all three of his victories coming via stoppage.
In the co-main event, flyweight submission specialists Philip Kim (SPMA concord) and Mitchell Birkett (Gracie Barra Central Coast) met in short-lived battle with Kim picking up an early TKO victory, pounding Birkett out with a number of hard right hands from top position on the canvas.
Kim improves his unblemished pro record to 2-0 with the quickfire win, which follows his first round submission of Andrew Youssef earlier in the year.
The next offering from Urban Fight Night will take place August 12. The promotion’s awards from Saturday night can be found below.
Fight of the night – Pio Sofa vs. Jalal Assad
Knockout of the night – Liam Cooney
Submission of the night – Alex Gorgees
Performance of the night – Kaleb Rideout
Rising star – Drew wicks
Heart of a champion – Aiden Nowfel
Team of the night – Full Circle MMA
- Alex Gorgees def. Goran Olujic via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 2
- Philip Kim def. Mitchell Birkett via TKO Rd 1
- Victor Tefaaora def. Aljosa Popadic via Decision
- Pio Sofa def. Jalal Assad via TKO, Rd 2
- Adam Bailey def. Aiden Nowfel via Decision (Unanimous)
- Billie Gordon def. Dylan Porter via Decision (Unanimous)
- Liam Cooney def. Vujosa Ivanovic via KO, Rd 1
- Kaleb Rideout def. Elzat Tursunty via Decision (Unanimous)
- Junior Moe def. Louay Ishak via TKO, Rd 3
- James Hannaford def. Joseph Culibao via TKO, Rd 1
- Will Farrell def. Kristijan Krisvosic via Decision (Unanimous)
- Drew Wicks def. Kristen Teasdale via TKO, Rd 1
- Tennesse Etuati def. Anderson Chen via Decision (Unanimous)
- Nathan Maitre def. Arnav Ayra via Decision (Unanimous)
- Matt Raso def. Daniel Ung via Decision (Unanimous)