After nearly three years on the sidelines, Dan Higgins trained Aaron Blackie made a successful return to the cage on Saturday night, submitting Callum Lewis at Coastal Combat 3.
The bout headlined the event which took place at the Coolum Civic Centre on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.
A former Judoka, Blackie wasted no time in rushing in to clinch against his opponent and using body-lock to get the takedown into side-control before 10-seconds had even passed in the fight. Blackie stayed active and went to work with short strikes before Lewis utilised butterfly hooks to partially regain guard. Lewis scrambled back to his feet but Blackie applied his high level Judo to take the fight back to the ground. Blackie straighted Lewis’ arm out before moving to knee on belly where he postured up and secured the kimura submission.
An impressive return for the 25-year-old who notably also has a win against Jesse Medina in his short career. As his career progresses, he could be one to keep an eye out on.
The semi-main event ended quickly with Jye Wyllie securing a 7-second stoppage over Stephan Friedrich, whom he had previously met in the amateur ranks. A swinging right hook connected on the mark as Friedrich hit the canvas. Wyllie immediately pounced, throwing punches with one in particular rocking Friedrich again and the referee had seen enough, jumping in to halt the contest.
Also on the card, Noke Martial Arts fighter John Martin-Fraser scored a big win with a hird round TKO victory over Keohu Smith.
Fight Card (Pro):
- Aaron Blackie def. Callum Lewis via Submission (Kimura), Rd 1, 3:07
- Jye Wyllie def. Stephan Friedrich via TKO (Punches), Rd 1, 0:07
- John Martin Fraser def Keohu Smith via TKO, Rd 1, 0:38
Fight Card (Amateur):
- Brandon Cox (c) def. Rasa Dasa via KO (Punches), Rd 1, 0:07 – Coastal Combat amateur welterweight title
- Bradford Cowie def. Jay Odell via Decision
- Luke Davis def. Taj Fewquandie via TKO, Rd 1, 1:07
- Bec Weall def. Gem Clay via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 2, 1:01
- Scott Nicholson def. Ryan Bishop via Decision
- Tyler Culley def. Curtis Graham via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 2:12
- Brandon Walsh def. Rick Ribeiro via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 1:15
- Alex Brunetta def. Alex McEwan via Decision (Unanimous)