A gruesome injury to Rick Alchin forced an early stoppage to the main event of XFC 33 on Saturday night.
Alchin suffered the break in the first round after a leg-kick was checked by his opponent Brogan Anderson.
Neither fighter was dominating as both fighters were largely in a feeling out process with Alchin taking the centre of the cage against the local fighter as they exchanged leg kicks early.
When the break occurred, Alchin immediately dropped to the canvas and tapped out in pain with scans later confirming a break in two places.
The event photographer Sue Gullery, who is a previous paramedic made a make-shift splint and with the assistance of the event doctor, they immediately straightened the leg inside the cage to allow blood flow to resume.
Alchin underwent surgery to insert a rod last night and is expected to fly back home on Thursday.
With the win, Brogan Anderson moves his record to 10-3 and rebounds from his last outing, where he was unsuccessful in challenging for the XFC welterweight title against Matt Vaile.
In the semi-main event, Jo Van Duin and Craig Masina immediately went toe-to-toe with Van Duin securing the quick knock-out victory. The win came only 18-seconds into the contest.
XFC 33 was held at the Edgar Centre in Dunedin, New Zealand with the promotion expected to return back to New Zealand in April 2018.
- Brogan Anderson def. Rick Alchin via TKO (Leg Break), Rd 1
- Jo Van Duin def. Craig Masina via KO (Strikes), Rd 1, 0:18
- David Watts def. Iain Blade via TKO (Strikes), Rd 1
- Damian Maru def. Ross Ellicott via TKO (Strikes), Rd 2, 0:37
- Taylor Garrett def. Dawson Gray via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1
- James Thompson def. Greg Stevenson-Wright via Submission (Kimura), Rd 2
- Paul McMah def. Tommy Leoni via Submission (Armbar)
- Flynn Booth def. Dion Hodgetts via KO (Strikes), Rd 1, 0:53
- Joel Taniora def. Robert Marsh via Submission (Strikes), Rd 2
- Maria Churcher def. Anne Wilson via Submission (Triangle Choke), Rd 2
*Photo via SMGullery Combat Sport