(Image Source: UFC.com)
Lyoto Machida vs Gegard Mousasi was given the green light today as both men successfully weighed in for their scheduled UFC Fight Night 36 middleweight main event clash.
UFC Fight Night 36 will take place on Feb. 15 (local time) at the Arena Jaragua in Santa Catarina, Brazil.
In his last outing, Machida (20-4) (pictured) made a successful drop to the middleweight division with a head kick knockout of Mark Munoz in October and will now be looking to make it 2 wins in a row on his journey towards the title.
This fight will be Mousasi’s second UFC endeavor after unanimously outpointing Ilir Latifi at UFC on Fuel TV 9 in April. With that victory, the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ improved his record to 34-3-2 while also making it 4 wins on the trot. The 28 year-old has since been recovering from reconstructive knee surgery.
MAIN CARD (2:30 p.m. AEDT on Fuel TV in Australia)
- Lyoto Machida (185 lbs/84 kg) vs Gegard Mousasi (186 lbs/84.5 kg)
- Francis Carmont (185 lbs/84 kg) vs Ronaldo Souza (185 lbs/84 kg)
- Takenori Sato (170 lbs/77.2 kg) vs Erick Silva (170 lbs/77.2 kg)
- Viscardi Andrade (170 lbs/77.2 kg) vs Nicholas Musoke (170 lbs/77.2 kg)
- Andy Ogle (146 lbs/66.3 kg) vs Charles Oliveira (143 lbs/65 kg)
PRELIMINARY CARD (11:30 a.m. AEDT on UFC Fight Pass)
- Cristiano Marcello (156 lbs/70.9 kg) vs Joe Proctor (155 lbs/70.4 kg)
- Rodrigo Damm (156 lbs/70.9 kg) vs Ivan Jorge (156 lbs/70.9 kg)
- Jesse Ronson (156 lbs/70.9 kg) vs Francisco Trinaldo (155 lbs/70.4 kg)
- Yuri Alcantara (136 lbs/61.8 kg) vs Wilson Reis (135 lbs/61.3 kg)
- Felipe Arantes (146 lbs/66.3 kg) vs Maximo Blanco (145 lbs/65.9 kg)
- Ildemar Alcantara (171 lbs/77.7 kg) vs Albert Tumenov (170 lbs/77.2 kg)
- Douglas de Andrade (145 lbs/65.9 kg) vs Zubair Tuhugov (146 lbs/66.3 kg)