Ty ‘Tyborg’ Duncan and David ‘The Smiling Assasin’ Martinez both claimed Coastal Combat titles on Saturday, capturing the promotions welterweight and lightweight championships belts respectively at Coastal Combat 6.
Combat MMA trained Duncan needed only 43-seconds to capture the welterweight belt, forcing Brandt Coggil to tap with a rear-naked choke submission. The win was the 23-year-olds second in six weeks, having put James O’Brien to sleep back in July on an Eternal card. Duncan moves his record to 5-2 while Cogill drops to 4-3.
Twenty-six-year-old David Martinez from Ignite MMA kept his record unblemished with a victory over Sam Flint to add the Coastal Combat lightweight title to his resume. Fighting a five-round pro bout for the first time in his career, Martinez needed all five rounds before being awarded the unanimous decision, comfortably taking all the rounds on the judges’ cards. One of the stand-out fighters of 2019, Martinez picks up his fourth win of the year and moves his pro record to 6-0.
Flint will be better from the experience as he drops to 2-1.
The pro-am card took place in Coolum Beach on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.
Fight Card (Pro):
- Ty Duncan def. Brandt Cogill via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 0:43 – Coastal Combat welterweight title
- David Martinez def. Sam Flint via Decision (Unanimous) – Coastal Combat lightweight title
Fight Card (Amateur):
- Michael Moss def. Jack James via Decision
- Jamie Sporne def. Zane Brassington via Submission (Armbar), Rd 1
- Julian Prowse def. Scott Nicholson
- Luke Davis def. Cooper Smith via Decision (Split)
- Jayden Walsh def. Caleb Miller via Decision (Unanimous)
- Rachel McAndrew def. Courtney Gray via Decision (Split)
- Michael Tepou def. Dustin Robertson via KO, Rd 1
- Deegon McGurren def. Liam Brewster via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 2:59
- Brodie Mathieson def. Angus Jones via TKO
- Daniel Stavely def. Lucas Dassios via TKO, Rd 2
- Mack Gorrie def. Joshua Francois via Decision (Unanimous)
- Courtney Rose def. Megan Weir via Decision (Unanimous)
- Rhett Holly def. Rick Ribeiro via TKO, Rd 3
- Rory Urquart def. Kyle Johnson via Decision (Unanimous)