Melbourne’s River Daz came within a whisker of pulling off a massive upset on Friday night.
Ultimately, however, the Australian Muay Thai star came up on the wrong end of a contentious split decision against Thai legend Seksan Or Kwanmuang at ONE Friday Fights 46 on December 22.
Daz came out like a house on fire from the opening bell and appeared to wobble Seksan with the opening flurry. The home fighter settled as the round wore on and brought Bangkok, Thailand’s Lumpinee Boxing Stadium to its feet as the pair exchanged toe-to-toe for the remainder of the round.
The madness continued in the second, as Daz and Seksan picked up where they left off.
Daz dropped Seksan with a left hook just 20 seconds into the frame, but the referee ruled it a slip much to the Aussie’s dismay. The rest of the frame saw them tee off on each other with elbows and knees at close range.
Despite now sporting cuts under both eyes, Daz’s head movement was serving him well and he started strongly again with another left hook that appeared to wobble the former four-time Muay Thai world champion in the early exchanges.
Seksan was getting the better of the clinch, however, before a lead leg high kick from Daz landed clean and snapped his head back at the mid-point of the final round.
It was a tough fight to score, but after three wild, scrappy rounds of action it was “The Man Who Yields To No-One” that got the nod from two of the judges.
The win extends the 34-year-old’s win streak to eight in what has been a stunning campaign since making his ONE debut in January. Seksan’s overall record now stands at 201-74-8.
Daz, for his part, is now 1-2 under the ONE Championship banner despite another lion-hearted performance. His professional record falls to 33-2-1.
ONE Friday Fights 46 Full Results
- ONE Featherweight Muay Thai World Title: Tawanchai PK Saenchai (c) defeated Superbon Singha Mawynn via unanimous decision
- ONE Strawweight Muay Thai World Title: Prajanchai PK Saenchai (ic) defeated Joseph Lasiri (c) via knockout (elbow) R1, 1:28
- ONE Interim Women’s Atomweight Kickboxing World Title: Phetjeeja Lukjaoporongtom defeated Anissa Meksen via unanimous decision
- Bantamweight Muay Thai: Nico Carrillo defeated Nong-O Hama via knockout (elbow) R2, 1:28
- Catchweight (63.5kg) Muay Thai: Seksan Or Kwanmuang defeated River Daz via split decision
- Catchweight (61.69kg) Muay Thai: Nabil Anane defeated Muangthai PK Saenchai via unanimous decision
- Bantamweight Muay Thai: Kulabdam Sor Jor Piek Uthai defeated Fariyar Aminipour via knockout (body punch) R1, 2:51
- Flyweight Muay Thai: Jaosuayai Sor Dechapan defeated Petsukumvit Boi Bangna via majority decision
- Bantamweight Muay Thai: Suablack Tor Pran49 defeated Craig Coakley via knockout (body punch) R1, 2:15
- Catchweight (59.87kg) Muay Thai: Chorfah Tor Sangtiennoi defeated Eisaku Ogasawara via knockout (punch) R2, 0:57
- Catchweight (59.87kg) Muay Thai: Suriyanlek Por Yenying defeated Yodkritsada Sor Sommai via knockout (punch) R2, 0:15