Path to Hex flyweight champion Percival Mwambi has had a difficult introduction to the professional ranks.
“No Mercy” came up short on the scorecards after being forced to grind for three rounds straight against tough Uzbek Komronbek Ortikov at ONE Friday Fights 37 at the Lumpinee Boxing Stadium in Bangkok, Thailand on October 20.
The Kenyan Australian looked comfortable in the early exchanges, as he landed some hard leg kicks before Ortikov managed to latch on.
The Uzbek national grappling champion proved a sticky customer, as Mwambi spent the rest of the round trying to regain his feet while Ortikov repeatedly sucked him back to the floor.
Mwambi reverted to punches in round two in a bid to mitigate the takedown threat of his 22-year-old foe, who was warned for inactivity as he waited for his opportunity to dive in on another takedown.
The Uzbek appeared to tire as the round wore on, although Mwambi struggled to land meaningful shots as his opponent refused to engage.
In the final minute of the frame, Ortikov managed to take the fight back to the mat and came close with a pair of slick armbar attempts.
Mwambi went back on the attack to begin the final round, perhaps sensing that he needed to turn the tide.
The fatigued Ortikov simply sat back and waited for his opportunity to hit another takedown, and the ploy proved effective as he did just that at the two-minute mark.
From there, Ortikov simply refused to let go for the rest of the fight as Mwambi continued to try and fight off the heavy grappler.
In the end, it was the Uzbek’s takedowns that swayed the judges, who awarded him the unanimous decision victory.
Ortikov improves his professional record to 2-0 after a submission victory on debut back in Uzbekistan.
Mwambi, for his part, now begins his professional career at 0-1 after the debut defeat.
Full ONE Friday Fights 37 Full Results
- Bantamweight Muay Thai: Antar Kacem defeated Rafi Bohic via unanimous decision
- Catchweight (132lb) Muay Thai: Rittidet Sor Sommai defeated Thepthaksin Sor Sornsing via knockout (punch) R2, 1:59
- Flyweight Muay Thai: Lamnamkhong BS Muay Thai defeated Samoynoi Tor Phusuwan via knockout (punches) R1, 2:30
- Catchweight (133lb) Muay Thai: Petchsirichai Detpetchsrithong defeated Songfangkhong FA Group via split decision
- Catchweight (124lb) Muay Thai: Kaoklai Chor Hapayak defeated Punmongkol Sor Mongkolkamchang vis knockout (punches) R2, 1:29
- Catchweight (118lb) Tahaneak Nayokatasala defeated Mahahin Nakbinalaiyon via split decision
- Flyweight Muay Thai: Kongthoranee Sor Sommai defeated Taiki Naito via unanimous decision
- Catchweight (128lb) Muay Thai: Aslamjon Ortikov defeated Pethuahin Jitmuangnon via TKO (head kick and punches) R3, 0:50
- Catchweight (130lb) Muay Thai: Elyes Kacem defeated Chai Sor Sor Toipadriew via knockout (head kick) R2, 2:43
- Flyweight MMA: Moris Boleyan defeated Gantogtokh Baatarchuluun via submission (guillotine choke) R1, 2:23
- Bantamweight MMA: Carlo Bumina-ang defeated Denis Andreev via split decision
- Catchweight (130lb) MMA: Komronbek Ortikov defeated Percival Oumo Mwambi via unanimous decision