New South Wales based Aussie, Martin Nguyen went down in the biggest fight of his career on Sunday night in Indonesia, losing by submission early in the first round to undefeated Russian Marat Gafurov.
The bout headlined One: Odyssey Of Champions which took place at Istora Senayan in Jakarta, Indoneisa. It was the promotions’ fourth official show staged in the country.
Nguyen opened the fight early on with a take down attempt on Gafurov, but Gafurov quickly reversed the position securing Nguyen’s back. With this dominant position Gafurov sunk in the rear naked choke forcing Nguyen to tap just 41-seconds into bout.
Nguyen was visibly gutted by his performance post-fight.
With the win, Gafurov was crowned the One interim featherweight champion and now takes his unblemished record to 12-0 as a professional. Gafurov is now expected to fight original opponent Jadamba Narantungalag for the One featherweight title.
In the Co-main event Dutch fighter Vinent Latoel impressed against Frenchmen Arnaud Lepont. Latoel showed his quality in the striking quickly in the first round bloodying up, and dropping his opponent. Lepont was keen to take Latoel to the ground but was unable to keep him down or submit him. Latoel made his intentions known as soon as the bell rang for round two as he dropped Lepont once again and finished off with soccer kicks. The fight was stopped 15-seconds into the round.
In what was the fight of the night, former UFC and Bellator fighter Roger Huerta came up against one of Japan’s fiercest competitors, Koji Ando. It was a back-and-forth battle with many wild exchanges from both fighters, but Ando ultimately took the decision win after dropping Huerta multiple times.
Earlier on the card, undefeated Russian prospect Alexey Butorin made his promotional debut and defeated Leandro Ataides via a devastating highlight reel KO late in round two. Also of note, one of Singapore’s up and coming stars, Angela Lee defeated Egyptian wrestling champion Mona Samir via a rear-naked-choke late in round one.
- Marat Gafurov def Martin Nguyen via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 0:41 – One interim featherweight title
- Vincent Latoel def Arnaud Lepont via TKO (Punches & Soccer kicks), Rd 2, 0:15
- Koji Ando def Roger Huerta via Decision (Unanimous)
- Alexey Butorin def Leandro Ataides via KO (Head-kick & Punches), Rd 2, 3:18
- Herbert Burns def Timofey Nastyukhin via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 3:26
- Jake Butler def Cristiano Kaminishi via Decision (Unanimous)
- Muin Gafurov def Casey Suire via KO (Spinning Back-kick), Rd 1, 0:55
- Angela Lee def Mona Samir via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 3:49
- Yusup Saadulaev def Sotir Kichukov via Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke), Rd 2, 1:10