At the age of 48, Mark Hunt signed off on a spectacular combat sports career with a stoppage win over former Rugby star Sonny Bill Williams on Saturday night.
The ‘Super Samoan’ was discounted in the lead-up but proved that his power which saw him reach the top of the tree in both K-1 and the UFC, was still there as he dropped Williams in the fourth round.
Williams got back to his feet and Hunt went on the attack, unloaded with further strikes including a power right that landed flush causing the referee to halt the contest.
It’s a great way for the combat sports legend to walk away from the sport with Hunt post-fight confirming it would be the last time we would see him compete. Post-fight Hunt confirmed this would be the last
“I’m smiling not because of the win but I’m smiling because this is the last time I walk into a ring of combat of any sort.”
“My first thought after was ‘s*** I want to do that again!’, but no.”
The card was broadcast on Stan Sports Pay-Per-View.
- Mark Hunt def. Sonny Bill Williams via TKO, Rd 4
- Nathan Singh def. Robert Lale via via TKO, Rd 1
- Abdul Abdulrahman def. Malakai Marama via TKO, Rd 2
- Tevita Pangai Jr. def. Jeremiah Tupai-Ui via KO, Rd 2
- Isaac Meehan def. Kenny Niko via KO, Rd 1
- Travis Druce def. Cole Smith via Decision (Unanimous)