Forty-one year-old Jay “Freight Train” Cobain made a successful comeback last night when he defeated Dean Purdon in the main event of Roshambo 4.
Cobain dominated the wrestling, out-powering his Gamebred MMA opponent, en-route to a unanimous decision win at the Chandler Theatre in Chandler, Queensland.
The bout was Cobain’s first outing since he was stopped by Commonwealth Games boxer Dane Mulivai back in July 2013. The former Impact MMA trained fighter retired from competition but after moving to Advance Martial Arts, that urge to compete returned. With the win over Purdon, Cobain captures the Fightworld Cup welterweight title.
Cobain was originally scheduled to meet Dan Pauling on the Fightworld Cup event early in November but after that event was cancelled, the title fight was rebooked under the Roshambo promotion. Pauling then was forced out and replaced by Purdon.
In a rematch of their fight just over a year ago, Shindo New Breed fighter Megan Anderson got her revenge as she submitted Zoie Shreiweis with a first-round armbar to claim the Roshambo women’s featherweight title.
Since losing her debut fight to Shreiweis in November 2013, Anderson has now won four straight bouts. Shreiweis went on to social media post-fight to announce that she will be retiring from fighting.
Also on the card, lightweight fighter Greg Atzori overcame a knock-down to recover and submit Brad Terrey while Taela Kelly’s fight with Mathew Darke was stopped in the second round due to an accidental low-blow. A count-back on the judges’ first-round scorecards was made with Kelly getting the nod.
- Jay Cobain def Dean Purdon via Decision (Unanimous) – Fightworld Cup welterweight title
- Megan Anderson def Zoie Shreiweis via Submission (Armbar), Rd 1 – Roshambo women’s featherweight title
- Greg Atzori def Brad Terrey via Submission (Guillotine Choke), Rd 2
- Taela Kelly def Mathew Darke via Decision (Unanimous)*
- Eli Rinaldo def Joel Miller via Submission (Armbar), Rd 1
- Matt Eland def Darcy Vendy via TKO, Rd 1
- Keohu Smith def Marcus Galloway via TKO (Punches), Rd 1
- Kimo Smith def Leki Tuitupu via Decision (Unanimous)
- Marko Lukac def Tahiwi Sellars McGee via Decision (Unanimous)
- Mick Lorrigan def Ben Porter via Decision (Unanimous)
*Taela Kelly went back to a countback after an accidential low blow forced the fight to be stopped in the second round