It was a good night for reigning Eternal champions on the promotion’s UFC Fight Pass debut.
After reaching a new multi-event deal with the platform, Eternal MMA 48 showcased eight professional bouts from Melbourne Pavilion on Friday, October 4.
In the main event, middleweight champion Isi Fitikefu defended his belt against Kitt Campbell in a suffocating, relentless exhibit of his grappling strength. Still undefeated, the Gracie Smeaton Grange product moves to 6-0.
Kevin Joussett made a solid account of himself in facing welterweight champion Jack Della on just two weeks’ notice. He showed resilience and heart, and a perfectly executed hip toss. But Della, with a barrage of ground and pound, sliced Joussett with an elbow which ultimately ended the fight after the second round. Though a tenacious effort, it wasn’t exactly a satisfying win for the Western Australian.
“Hats off to Kevin,” he said in his post-fight interview. “That’s a terrible way to lose a fight, but it’s also a terrible way to win a fight, so we can do it again if you’re keen.”
After missing weight by just 200g, Casey O’Neill forfeited her opportunity to continue her title reign. The former Eternal strawweight champion defeated challenger Miki Motono via unanimous decision, showing a versatile game on the ground and her feet.
“It’s really disappointing,” she said of missing weight. “Obviously any athlete will tell you that missing weight is the most embarrassing thing you can do. I pushed my body right ‘til the end and at the end of the day I gave it everything I could, and fighting and winning is the most important thing so f*** the belt, I’ll get it back.”
In a thrilling back and forth contest, Mitch Martin successfully defended his bantamweight title for the fifth time. A fun and competitive fight marked by endless scrambles and transitions and took place in every corner of the cage. Martin managed to edge the split decision and extend his record to 8-0.
Results (main card):
- Isi Fitikefu def. Kitt Campbell via Decision (Unanimous) – Eternal middleweight title
- Jack Della def. Kevin Joussett via TKO (Doctor Stoppage), Rd 2, 5:00 – Eternal welterweight title
- Casey O’Neill def. Miki Motono via Decision (Unanimous) – Eternal strawweight title*
- Mitch Martin def. Ben Watson via Decision (Split) – Eternal bantamweight title
- B.J. Bland def. Abel Brites via Decision (Unanimous)
- Ben Royle def. Rodolfo Marques via Decision (Unanimous)
- Jacob Malkoun def. Sebastian Temesi via Decision (Unanimous)
- Danial Williams def. Chris Wase via TKO (Punches), Rd 2, 3:43
*Reigning champion Casey O’Neill was forced to vacate the strawweight title after missing weight by 0.2kg. Her opponent Miki Motono was still eligible to win the title upon victory.
Middleweight Jacob Malkoun also missed weight by a small margin.