Day two provided mixed results for the Australian contingent with four fighters progressing to the quarter-finals; however four fighters also getting eliminated.
Troy Fumo was first up for the Australians and the Melbourne-based fighter progressed to the quarter-finals with a submission victory against Iranian Ali Kadhim Al Mayahi. Fumo caught his opponent with a Von Flue choke and moves on to face Farkhod Rakhmonaliev from Russia.
Jordan Thomas won his opening bout with a hard-fought decision against Austria’s Daniel Schordje.
In the light-heavyweight division, Auryn Parmley and Patrick Best have both moved on to face Russian opponents in the quarter-finals, with impressive performances. A win for both in the quarter-finals will see them face-off in the semi-finals.
It wasn’t such good news for Faine Mesquita, Coopar Royal, Daniel Mitchell, and Kyle Mayocchi who were eliminated from the event.
Mesquita lost to Raiane Vinuto Guimaraes in her opening contest, while Royal, who was victorious in his first-round match on Monday, could not back it on day two losing a unanimous decision to Shamil Alikhanov. Both opponents were representing Bahrain.
Sydney’s Daniel Mitchell also was victorious also Monday however was eliminated from the competition on Tuesday, losing a clear decision to Bekzat Zhassiya from Uzbekistan.
Competing in the junior championships, Kyle Mayocchi was eliminated in his second match, losing out to Behruz Khurshedzoda from Tajikistan via unanimous decision.
For New Zealand, Oliver Schmid was edged out by a split points decision while Alexander Lutu suffered a TKO loss to France’s Nell Ariano. However, Fergus Jenkins scored an upset win over Jordan’s Hazem Kayyali who was dominant at the World Cup event in Prague last year. Abraham Paku also moved on to the quarter-finals, scoring a TKO victory against Aiham Ayad Mahmood Alrawi.
Notably, for New Zealand, 2019 world championship winner Michelle Montague begins her campaign on Wednesday in her quest to defend her title.
The quarter-finals are next with the below in action on Wednesday.
- Quarter-Finals (Men’s lightweight) – Jordan Thomas vs. Marko Sarasjarvi (Finland)
- Quarter-Finals (Men’s strawweight) – Troy Fumo vs. Farkhod Rakhmonaliev (Russia)
- Quarter-Finals (Men’s light-heavyweight) – Patrick Best vs. Dzhamal Medhidov (Russia)
- Quarter-Finals (Men’s light-heavyweight) – Auryn Parmley vs. Magomed Shakhrudinov (Russia)
- Quarter-Finals (Men’s middleweight) – Fergus Jenkins vs. Daniel O’Sullivan (Ireland)
- Quarter-Finals (Men’s heavyweight) – Abraham Paku vs. Shamil Kuramagomedov (Russia)
- Quarter-Finals (Women’s featherweight) – Michelle Montague vs. Nina Kharinova (Russia)