Rod Costa’s experience on the ground paid off on Saturday night as he submitted Shaun Etchell to capture the Eternal bantamweight title.
The bout headlined Eternal 71 in Perth, Western Australia with the main card broadcast live on UFC Fight Pass.
Etchell had the advantage on the feet but Costa was able to time his takedowns and secure takedowns. Early in the second round, Etchell unloaded on Costa who had his back against the cage but with the local crowd behind him, Costa recovered took the fight down, and secured the tap.
The end came 3:22 into the second round. After an unsuccessful attempt at a featherweight title, Costa now walks away with the bantamweight strap and already has his eyes set on becoming a double champ, looking to face the winner of the vacant featherweight title fight between Justin Van Heerden and Diego Pereira, both fighters Costa has defeated in the past.
“It depends on them [Van Heerden & Pereira]. If they are real competitors, I think they want to get the win again. I lost against Jenkins and will fight tomorrow to get the win back. If I lost against Shaun [Etchell], I would want to get the win back,” Costa said post-fight.
“I knocked one of them out and dominated the other. If they want it then it should be me otherwise I’ll defend the bantamweight title.”
In the semi-main Tasmania’s Chris Drummond Jesse Armstrong in the second round. Drummond rocked Armstrong with a left hook and capitalised, dropping Armstrong and forcing the referee stoppage with a flurry of strikes.
Post-fight Armstrong announced his retirement by leaving his gloves in the cage.
In the other pro fights on the main card, Kevin Kophamel won a unanimous decision against Brad Ramsey while Coby Porter recovered after a tough first round to earn the judges call.
- Rod Costa def. Shaun Etchell via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 2, 3:22- Eternal bantamweight title
- Chris Drummond def. Jesse Armstrong via TKO, Rd 2, 0:28
- Kevin Kophamel def. Brad Ramsey via Decision (Unanimous)
- Coby Porter def. Sebastian Ortiz via Decision (Unanimous)
- Tom Ackerly def. Laurence Whitesmith via Decision (Split)
- Sam Marles def. Adam Lawrence via Decision (Unanimous)
- Brayden Ion def. Ashby Tink via Decision (Unanimous)
- Ryan Jankowski def. Richy Diaz via TKO
- Spencer Mosely def. Steve Russell via KO, Rd 1
- Shannon Staples def. Jett Waller via Decision (Unanimous)
- Moses Deng def. Tristen O’Brien via Decision (Split)
- Jesse Ukich def. Bryce Cordon via TKO, Rd 2