Jesse ‘Funky Cold’ Medina has earned a stoppage victory over Rodolfo Marques in the third round of their catchweight professional main event fight at Demolition 9 last night.
The bout was Medina’s first fight back after challenging Abdalla Biayda for the vacant Demolition featherweight championship in October 2022.
After being taken down and enduring a deep rear naked choke attempt, Medina was able to reverse the position and end the round on top of Marques, where he would land heavy ground and pound blows. In the second round would Medina land multiple takedowns and again reverse position to finish the round on top of Marques landing strikes.
The third round saw Medina pick up Marques and walk him across the cage before slamming him to the ground, securing Marques’ back and landing more grounded strikes until the referee stepped in.
In the cage after the fight, Medina said the threat of the rear naked choke was not a worry to him.
‘Although it was sort of tight, I wasn’t anywhere close to tapping out.’
Medina credited his performance to his coaches and new teammates at his gym Mildura MMA.
‘We’ve got a few guys at the lower levels and they’ve really pushed me up to take my game to the next level.’
This victory moves Medina’s professional record to 16-11.
The amateur main event of Demolition 9 saw Harry Webb win the amateur super-lightweight title with a TKO over Akram Naman.
Webb secured the TKO with just four seconds left of the final round, winning his third amateur Demolition title, as Webb already holds the featherweight and lightweight title.
A move to pro MMA seems to be the next step for Webb, as when asked what is next for him, he said,
‘Put on those four-ounce gloves and knock some people out with them.’
- Jesse Medina def. Rodolfo Marques via TKO, Rd 3, 3:12
- Harry Webb def. Akram Naman via TKO, Rd 3 – Demolition amateur super-lightweight title
- Alfred Stoddart def. Eoin Coughlan via KO, Rd 2 – Demolition amateur middleweight title
- Mal McDowell def. Michael Alsop via Decision (Unanimous) – Demolition amateur bantamweight title
- Alan Nguyen def. Hussian Ibrahimi via Decision (Unanimous) – Demolition amateur flyweight title
- Winnie Greenhalgh def. Ash Rachwalski via Decision (Split) – Demolition women’s strawweight title
- Mitch Henderson def. Nate Le Vin via Decision (Unanimous)
- Rob Pelle def. Terence Tadebois via Decision (Unanimous)
- Bailey Andrews def. Hanibal Tseggay via Decision (Split)
- Jacob Harrison def. Aaron Lynch via Decision (Unanimous)
- Peter Pirona def. Wani Alphonse via Decision (Unanimous)
- Mustafa Wardak def. Terrence Nichol via TKO, Rd 2, 1:21
- Mietta Stathopoulos def. Tatum Loriente via TKO, Rd 2, 0:20