Daniel ‘The Rock’ Dawson’s ONE Super Series debut was spoiled last night when Italian kickboxer Mustapha “Dynamite’ Haida finished him in the third round via KO at ONE: Beyond The Horizon in Shanghai, China.
It was a cautious opening from both fighters as they tested each other’s range and power, and there was very little to split the two until the final minute in the first round. Haida, the southpaw, caught Dawson clean on the chin with the end of a left-roundhouse kick, sending him to the canvas and a subsequent eight-count from the referee. Haida pushed for the finish with some strong boxing, but Dawson was able to hold on to re-group between rounds.
Not holding back, Dawson opened the second round pushing forward, knowing he had to make up the deficit on the judge’s scorecards. There was very little evidence of ring rust for either fighter with some slick kickboxing on display for those watching. A flurry of punches late in the second round went in the favour of Dawson with Haida saved by the bell.
Great head movement from Haida nullified Dawson’s fast and furious hands at the beginning of the third round before a series of unanswered punches and a left knee from Hadia’s sent Dawson crashing to the canvas, the referee waving off the fight. In the end, it was the much-touted power of Haida that was the deciding factor between the two.
Results (Main Card):
- Xiong Jing Nan (c) def. Samara Santos via TKO, Rd 2, 1:22– ONE Women’s Strawweight Title
- Amir Khan def. Honorio Banario via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 4:34
- Edward Kelly def. Christian Lee via Disqualification (Illegal Suplex), Rd 1
- Tukkatatong Petpayathai def. Ognjen Topic via Decision (Unanimous) – Super Series (Muay Thai)
- Han Zi Hao def. Stergos Mikkios via Decision (Unanimous) – Super Series (Muay Thai)
- Mustapha Haida def. Daniel Dawson (Australia) via KO (Knee & Punches), Rd 3, 2:14 – Super Series (Kickboxing)
- Muhammad Aiman def. Chen Lei via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 2. 4:35
- Hakim Hamech def. Yukinori Ogasawara via KO, Rd 1, 2:59 – Super Series (Muay Thai)
- Elipitua Siregar def. Phat Soda via TKO (Punches), Rd 1, 2:30