Four-time Australian Olympic Judo representative, Daniel Kelly kept his undefeated MMA record with a unanimous decision over Patrick Walsh. Making his second appearance inside the UFC’s octagon, Kelly got the nod on all three judges’ cards in a bout that was booed by the crowd in attendance.
The two met on the main card of UFC Fight Night 60 which was held at 1stBank Centre in Broomfield, Colorado. The event was headlined by a welterweight clash between former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and local favourite Brandon Thatch.
Walsh pressed the action early as Kelly took a bit to find his range while striking. When he did the punches came while countering. A late takedown from Walsh arguably may have stole the first round for him. Both fighters landed some heavy shots in the second and third rounds, with Kelly in particular finding a mark for the uppercut in the exchanges. Neither fighter though came close to finishing their opponent.
The judges verdict came as 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27 all for the Kelly who took his record to 9-0.
It was a bad 24-hours for Walsh who used to compete at light-heavyweight. A day earlier the American came in over five pounds heavy for the middleweight contest. He now drops to 5-2 as a professional and 1-1 inside the UFC.
In the main event, former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson upset and stopped the impressive run of local fighter Brandon Thatch with a fourth-round submission victory. Henderson was taking the fight only three weeks after losing a decision to Donald Cerrone. Henderson indirectly called out Canadian welterweight Rory MacDonald in his post-fight speech however UFC president Dana White put to bed that match-up, announcing that Rory MacDonald had a match-up booked already which is yet to be announced.
In the co-main event Max Holloway defeated Cole Miller via a unanimous decision.
- Benson Henderson def Brandon Thatch via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 4, 3:58
- Max Holloway def Cole Miller via Decision (Unanimous)
- Neil Magny def Kiichi Kunimoto via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 3, 1:22
- Daniel Kelly def Patrick Walsh via Decision (Unanimous)
- Kevin Lee def Michel Prazeres via Decision (Unanimous)
- Ray Borg def Chris Kelades via Submission (Kimura), Rd 3, 2:56
- Efrain Escudero def Rodrigo de Lima via Decision (Unanimous)
- Chas Skelly def Jim Alers via KO (Punches & Knee), Rd 2, 4:59
- Zach Makovsky def Tim Elliott via Decision (Unanimous)
- James Moontasri def Cody Pfister via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 2, 1:49