Victorian fighter Callan Potter needed only 49-seconds to win two fights on Saturday night to capture the vacant Valor MMA Welterweight Title at Valor MMA 5. The event was held at the Albert Hall in Launceston, Tasmania.
Potter started off the night finishing local Launcheston based Damon Upton-Greer by stopping him with punches only 8-seconds into the fight. Potter caught an early leg kick before unloading with overhand right hands that dropped Upton-Greer against the cage. Potter looked to capitalise by unloading further shots before the referee halted the contest. Upton-Greer immediately stood and protested the stoppage as Potter celebrated moving on to the final.
In the other tournament bout, Nick Denholm secured his position in the final with a first round submission win over David Butt. The end came at 2:15 as Denholm secured the rear-naked choke submission to get the tap.
Both fighters secured their positions in the final with first round victories, however Potter came into the final slightly fresher having fought first and having his first bout go only 8-seconds. The Victorian fighter didn’t waste much time in the final either as he got the early takedown from where he was able secure the guillotine choke only 41 seconds into the fight.
With the win, Potter was crowned the inaugural Valor Welterweight Title holder.
Earlier on the night former professional boxer Steven Maxwell scored his first MMA victory as he submitted his opponent Jerick Panes with a rear-naked choke submission. The end came at 2:53 into the fight.
Co-owner of Valor promotion, Dan Hyatt also stepped into the cage and came out victorious as he defeated Aaron Hume via TKO, 2:42 into the fight.
Welterweight Title Tournament:
- Callan Potter def Damon Upton-Greer via TKO (Punches), Rd 1, 0:08
- Nick Denholm def David Butt via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 2:15
- Callan Potter def Nick Denholm via Submission (Guillotine Choke), Rd 1, 0:41 – Welterweight Title
- Steven Maxwell def Jerick Panes via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 2:53
- Ethan Duniam def Richard Graham via Decision (Unanimous)
- Christina Tatnell def Nicole Maxwell via Decision (Unanimous)
- Ben Barrett def Jason Maluga via Submission (Armbar), Rd 2, 1:20
- Dan Hyatt def Aaron Hume via TKO (Punches), Rd 1, 2:42