Storm MMA’s Peter Cross advances in the 2015 bantamweight championship tournament after submitting Steve McKinnon from the Phoenix Combat Sports Club on Saturday night.
The two met in the main event of Brace 34, which took place at the AIS Arena in Canberra, ACT.
Cross snatched the victory via an anaconda choke just 79 seconds into the fight from a failed takedown attempt from McKinnon. With the win, the Canberra local bounces back after a TKO loss to Simon Arnetz on the Storm Damage 6 card at featherweight.
In the co-main event, Wimp to Warrior season two contestant Alessia Espinosa-Vallve knocked out Natalie Gonzales-Hills in a strawweight championship tournament clash.
The welterweight tournament bout between Leo Diaz and Ali Kocak was cancelled after Kocak failed to make weight. Also scrapped from the lineup, Troy Toby vs James O’Brien did not go ahead as planned after Toby experienced medical issues and was forced to withdraw from the event.
The next offering from Brace will take place on Friday July 17 at the Southport Sharks on the Gold Coast and will feature a middleweight showdown between Joe Muir and Rob Wilkinson.
- Peter Cross def Steve McKinnon via Submission (Anaconda Choke), Rd 1, 1:19 – Bantamweight Tournament
- Alessia Espinosa-Vallve def Natalie Gonzales-Hills via KO, Rd 3, 2:00 – Strawweight Tournament
- Paul Franchi def Adam Oxenbridge via TKO, Rd 2, 1:15
- Tom Kingston def Dimitar Dimitrovski via TKO, Rd 2, 2:16
- Jess Doueihi def Roxey Kelly via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 1:46
- David Francis def Reza Almassi via TKO, Rd 1, 3:50
* Results courtesy of Brace.