Luke Rockhold and Yoel Romero have had to be separated today at the UFC 221 weigh in after Yoel Romero weighed in at 188 pounds – 3 pounds over the middleweight limit.
To loud cheers of the Perth crowd, Luke Rockhold said he was a professional and always turned up on weight.
Romero proceeded to tell the crowed that he will go to the sauna and easily cut the last three pounds. If he is unable to reach the 185 pound limit, Romero will not be able to fight for the title. The fight will go on however, but only Rockhold would become the interim champion with a victory.
Unlike the normal process, there was no early weigh in for the Perth event. All fighters weighed in for their first time on stage in front of the fans. With the weigh in beginning at 11am and the first fight taking place tomorrow at 730am, most of the fighters have less than 24 hours to re-hydrate.
A full video replay can be found right here.
Main Card (2PM AEDT – MAIN EVENT PPV)
• Yoel Romero ((188.30 – has two hours to lose weight) ) vs. Luke Rockhold (185)
• Curtis Blaydes (255.5) vs. Mark Hunt (265)
• Cyril Asker (243) vs. Tai Tuivasa (263.55)
• Jake Matthews (170.5) vs. Li Jingliang (170)
• Tyson Pedro (205) vs. Saparbek Safarov (204.5)
Preliminary Card (12PM AEDT – FOX SPORTS 4, EDGE & FIGHT PASS)
• Damien Brown (156) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (156)
• Israel Adesanya (183.25) vs. Rob Wilkinson (186)
• Jeremy Kennedy (145) vs. Alex Volkanovski (145.5)
• Jussier Formiga (126.3 – 2 hours to make weight) vs. Ben Nguyen (125.5)
Preliminary Card (10.30AM AEDT – UFC Fight Pass)
• Mizuto Hirota (156) vs. Ross Pearson (156)
• Teruto Ishihara (135.5) vs. Jose Quinonez (135)
• Luke Jumeau (170.5) vs. Daichi Abe (170.5)
My earliest combat sports memory is watching David Tua knock people out with his left hook. I am extremely passionate about combat sports in Australia and my home country of New Zealand and I endeavour to grow the profile of martial arts and its athletes in both countries. Persistent Brazilian jiu-jitsu battler.